Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Happy & Healthy Eating!


Over the course of the next two months I am interning for the Athens City County Health Department under the health education sector. Therefore, I am surrounded by "health" and even more motivated to eat healthy and aspire get creative with food at a low cost!

At the Creating Healthy Communities coalition meeting this past week, a plentiful amount of local food was served for lunch. There was black bean hummus, watermelon tomato & basil skewers (my personal favorite), snap peas, and salad with bean sprouts.  





The goal of the coalition is to create policy, system and environmental changes to increase access to healthy food, increase opportunities for physical activity and eliminate tobacco use. It is so crucial to address these issues in Athens because the region suffers from limited access to health food, high use of tobacco rates, and low physical activity...all of which increase the chances for chronic disease. 
As my supervisor Ruth Dudding said at the meeting,
 "We want people here to live healthy because we love Athens."
Yup, we sure do!

Health is something I am so passionate about. Therefore, I am thoroughly appreciative of the opportunity I have to experience the environment of a public health setting. 

Anyways, today I was running slightly late and didn't have time to prepare any extravagant breakfast and lunch (and I forgot to make my overnight oats last night that I typically eat for breakfast every morning). Instead I made two eggs for a quick breakfast and used half of them to put on my spinach salad for lunch!
In addition to the egg, I added some cherry tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, mozzarella, dash of Heinen's strawberry dressing, garlic red wine vinegar & balsamic.

I'm starting to worry about my egg consumption, but they're just too damn good...

-Kyra

P.S. Still recovering from Taco Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment