Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Life in the Land (Cleveland EATS)

When I last posted in March I shared my journey of the transition to a gluten-free diet.
 
Three months since that post, I am excited to share that I have happily been GF for nearly six months now! I have noticed a drastic change in my health and seldom experience the uncomfortable symptoms I was having for months.
 
Despite my diet restrictions, I have been endlessly exploring Cleveland's eats in every way possible since I've been home. Just when I thought I knew everything about my city...I keep finding new foodie adventures and hidden neighborhood gems)
 
I am interning full-time in downtown Cleveland which has allowed me to view the city from an entirely new perspective. I use every second of my free time to simply walk up and down the streets and learn something new. Not to mention--Cleveland has been electric since we became CHAMPS! The feeling of walking down the street in the past week has drastically changed. Strangers high-five and people hug when they see someone wearing Cavs clothing.
 
Parade confetti still graces the streets as a sweet, sweet reminder of the city's long awaited victory.
 
When I arrived back home from OU in April, I began to compile an ongoing list of things I was doing and a list of places that I wanted to go to ensure that I was making the most of my summer. I am very fortunate that my sister Celina and her husband have allowed me to live with them in my favorite neighborhood in all of Cleveland: Cleveland Heights. The Heights is such a unique, quirky, and versatile place. Down the street from their house on Lee Road is a number of restaurants, bars, shops, a movie theatre, and much more. For me, it's the ultimate summer location in Cleveland being a quick drive away from downtown, but yet in our own little niche.
 
I must admit that since I've been home I have been cooking less than I am used to...
 
I have been introduced to the rude reality of being an adult and feeling overwhelmed with busy work schedules and a lack of work-life balance. The thought of coming home after a long day and spending time cooking & then cleaning just does not sound appetizing!
 
When I am away at school, cooking is extremely therapeutic for me after a long day of classes and working two jobs. 

I hope to get back in that healthy habit soon enough.
 
For now, I want to share some of the food adventures that I have been drooling over the entire summer.

(If you want to view more pictures where I post frequently follow my instagram @tastetheland)
 


 Restore Coldpressed (Downtown Cleveland)
Avocado toast | Himalayan Pink Salt | Lemon | EVO | Cracked Pepper | Vine Ripened Tomatoes | GF bread

The toast everyone keeps talking about...had to try it for myself. The combination of these simple ingredients is INCREDIBLE

 
 
 Restore Coldpressed (Downtown Cleveland)
 Banana | Blueberry | Coconut Oil | Flaxseed | Raw Honey | Almond Milk
Saigon (E. 4th Street)- My personal favorite lunch spot
|Tender beef & brisket Pho|

Saigon offers such amazing portions of Vietnamese food for very affordable prices
This meal also turned into my dinner...
 
The Corner Alley (E. 4th Street)- Outdoor & open fun atmosphere
|Brisket nachos w/ a balsamic glaze|

Always enjoy visiting the Corner Alley with both coworkers and friends.
It's a fun atmosphere for just drinking or dining and offers decent options!
Gigi's on Fairmount (Cleveland Heights)
| The most beautiful Caprese salad I've ever seen...or tasted |

One of the only place in Cleveland Heights open for lunch during the week.
 My go to spot with girlfriends for a quick bite and a fun place to catch up (with martinis of course!)
The Greenhouse Tavern (E. 4th Street)
| The Ohio Beef Burger "Celiac Style." |

 I really appreciate the accommodations for a GFD on the menu at GHT
I have yet to order a meal that has disappointed me in the slightest
Yours Truly (Shaker Square)
| Freshly squeezed grapefruit mimosas & notso fries |

I must admit Notso fries are my utmost guilty please (especially after a night of one too many)
Love coming here on weekends...never a bad meal!
Brennan's Colony (Cleveland Heights)
| Potato Skins & Chicken Nachos |

I am extremely biased towards The Colony since I used to work here...
but it's hard to deny that Brennan's is a great summer spot with an unbeatable patio.
My summer has consisted of countless nights at Brennan's devouring potato skins during nerve-racking Cavs games.
Nighttown (Cedar Hill)
| Pea risotto w/ radish & greens |
Amazing service and a good option for a family meal, a date, or drinks with friends.
Another great patio with a full bar for the summer.
Nighttown (Cedar Hill)
| Pork Tenderloin w/ cilantro polenta, tomatoes, red wine reduction |
 
Metropolitan at The 9 (Adega) 
| Ciabatta & gravy w/ poached eggs |
 
 


 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment